Active care processes: diagnosis and treatment
This 18-page guideline summary is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Medically Unexplained Symptoms: Chronic Pain and Fatigue, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense. It is intended to:
- Promote efficient and effective assessment of patients’ complaints
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with medically unexplained symptoms: chronic pain and fatigue
This Web site offers information to cancer control planners, program staff, and researchers in order to assist them in achieving their goals:
- to reduce cancer risk
- to reduce the number of new cancer cases
- to reduce the number of deaths from cancer
- to enhance the quality of life for cancer survivors
While many share the same goals, all do not have easy access to resources that can facilitate the transfer of evidence-based research findings into...
This fact sheet explains the risks of having a high blood cholesterol level and provides guidance on lowering high blood cholesterol.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Why is cholesterol important?
- How does cholesterol cause heart disease?
- What do your cholesterol numbers mean?
- What affects cholesterol levels?
- What is your risk of developing heart disease or having a heart attack?
- Treating high cholesterol ...
This table provides the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s previous and current recommendations for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer.
This table provides the previous (2004) and current (2007) recommendations for the following topics:
- Is combined androgen blockade better than castration alone?
- Does early androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) improve outcomes over deferred therapy?
This tool provides links for downloading five campaign posters that emphasize the importance of personal protective equipment and handwashing as a means to reduce the risk of infection in health care settings. These posters are intended for both clinical and general audiences. Two of the posters are also available in Spanish.
This fact sheet provides women with information about mammograms. It includes the following sections:
- What is a mammogram?
- What happens during a mammogram?
- Who should get one?
- Why should I have one?
- How will I pay?
- How do I get a mammogram?
- What else can I do?
- Where can I learn more?
This tool provides recommendations to persons living and working in community shelters regarding basic infection control information that will help to prevent exposure to or transmission of infectious agents. It provides recommendations on the following topics:
- General infection prevention techniques
- Hand hygiene
- Cleaning the living environment and personal items
- Staff management of sheltered persons with infectious diseases
This four-page checklist was developed by the National Center for Cultural Competence as part of a series to assist organizations and systems of care in developing policies, structures, and practices that support cultural and linguistic competence. It focuses on systems of care and organizations concerned with the delivery of services and supports to children and youth with emotional, behavioral, and mental disorders and to their families.
This checklist addresses the following...
This summary for patients addresses breast cancer treatment in women who are pregnant, nursing, or have just given birth.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information about breast cancer and pregnancy
- Stages of breast cancer
- Treatment option overview
- Treatment options by stage
- Early stage breast cancer (stage I and stage II)
- Late stage breast cancer (stage III and stage IV)
This series of fact sheets is intended for women who are HIV-positive and pregnant or have recently given birth. These fact sheets describe the steps an HIV-positive pregnant woman can take to preserve her health and prevent transmission of HIV to her baby.
These fact sheets provide information on the following topics:
- HIV testing and pregnancy
- Treatment regimens for HIV-positive pregnant women
- Safety and toxicity of anti-HIV medications during...