The Strong Start for Mothers and Newborns initiative aims to reduce preterm births and improve outcomes for newborns and pregnant women. This toolkit provides action-oriented resources for health care providers and community-based organizations to use in helping expectant mothers get safe, evidence-based care, and improve their newborn’s chances for good physical and developmental health.
Resources include the following:
- Patient safety checklists
Text4baby is a free mobile information service designed to promote maternal and child health. An educational program of the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB), text4baby provides pregnant women and new moms with information they need to take care of their health and give their babies the best possible start in life. Women who sign up for the service will receive free SMS text messages each week, timed to their due date or baby’s date of birth.
The Beginnings Guides offer prenatal and parent education materials that are easy-to-read and easy-to-understand.
- The Beginnings Pregnancy Guide translates the health promotion content of prenatal care into easy-to-read practical guidance for a healthy pregnancy.
- The Beginnings Parent’s Guide translates the science of early child development into easy-to-understand practical guidance for parents of 0- to 3-year-olds.
The guides are available in English...
This patient brochure describes when routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis should be used to treat pregnant women who are rhesus D (RhD) negative. It provides guidance from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE–United Kingdom). It is written for pregnant women who are RhD negative, but it may also be useful for their families or anyone interested in how being RhD negative can affect pregnancy.The following topics are discussed:
- Pregnancy in RhD-...
This illustrated, 44-page booklet includes information about checking and controlling blood glucose–also called blood sugar–maintaining a healthy diet, staying physically active, and taking tests and diabetes medications during pregnancy.
Topics and resources include:
- Taking care of your baby and yourself
- Your diabetes, before and during your pregnancy
- Checking your baby’s health during pregnancy
- About labor and...
This brochure discusses common types of prenatal infections and provides recommendations to avoid or reduce the risk of infection.
The brochure is organized by prenatal infection type:
- Group B strep
- Fifth disease
- Chickenpox (varicella)
This poster promotes prevention of prenatal infections, including Group B streptococcus.
It includes a list of ways to avoid prenatal infections categorized in the following topics:
- Diet and food handling
- Contagious diseases
- Prenatal care
The booklet offers information to women about depression during or after a pregnancy. This booklet also provides information for fathers, family, and friends on how to help their loved one.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- What causes perinatal depression?
- Who is at risk?
- Types of perinatal depression
- Symptoms of perinatal depression
- If I have perinatal depression, what can I do?
- Advice for fathers, family, and...
This patient guide is based on clinical guidelines written to help physicians who are evaluating and treating various types of thyroid dysfunction in women before, during, and after their pregnancy.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- Who is at higher risk of thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer during pregnancy?
- What special considerations apply to the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules during pregnancy?
- What is the recommended treatment...
These fact sheets provide information about health, educational, and developmental issues related to Spina Bifida.
The facts sheets about Spina Bifida are on the following topics:
- Spotlight on Spina Bifida
- Agent Orange Benefits Act
- Depression and anxiety in individuals with Spina Bifida
- Educational issues among children with Spina Bifida
- Folic acid
- Genetics and Spina Bifida
- Hip function
- Hydrocephalus and...