Preventive care processes
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This toolkit provides resources for policymakers, health plans, and clinicians and addresses the gap between what can be delivered to children with special health care needs and what is actually received.
This toolkit includes the following sections:
- Foreword: Who are children with special needs?
- Improving quality for children with special needs
- The challenge of serving children with special needs
- Opportunities to enhance services for children with...
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...
Long-term care and other residential facilities can use this tool to self-assess the strengths and weaknesses of their pandemic influenza planning efforts.
This checklist is divided into the following sections:
- Structure for planning and decisionmaking
- Development of a written pandemic influenza plan
- Elements of an influenza pandemic plan
FluWorkLoss 1.0 is a spreadsheet software tool that estimates the potential number of days lost from work due to an influenza pandemic. Users can change almost any input value, such as the number of workdays assumed lost when a worker becomes ill or the number of workdays lost due to a worker staying home to care for a family member. Users can also change the length and virulence of the pandemic so that a range of possible impacts can be estimated. FluWorkLoss provides a range of estimates...
This brochure for Veterans Administration (VA) health care providers describes secondary prevention activities for patients with HIV.
This brochure answers the following questions:
- What is secondary HIV prevention?
- What are the goals of secondary HIV prevention?
- Who in VA medical centers, clinics, and Vet Centers can conduct secondary HIV prevention activities?
- Why should VA health care providers practice secondary HIV prevention activities with...
The National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) is a searchable database of interventions for the prevention and treatment of mental and substance use disorders.
- Using NREPP
- History of NREPP and recent changes
- Types of interventions included in NREPP
- Mental health promotion
- Mental health treatment
- Substance abuse prevention
- Substance abuse treatment
- Co-occurring disorders
- What is...
The VERB Web site offers many interactive features that will help “tweens” get active. It offers fun games, interesting facts, photo journals, and blogs.
This Web site provides access to public service announcements (PSAs) and podcasts on topics related to hurricane safety. Users can download PSAs and podcasts directly from the site or subscribe to receive a different hurricane podcast each week during hurricane season. The site includes scripts for all messages, as well as audio files for most. Some messages are also available in video and/or American Sign Language format. All messages are also available in Spanish.
This educational kit is intended for nurses, midwives, and other educators who make presentations on food safety for pregnant women. The materials are available in English and Spanish.
The tool kit contains the following materials:
- Educator’s resource guide
- Pregnancy and foodborne illness: Frequently asked questions
- Four simple steps to food safety
- Foodborne risks for moms-to-be
- Special precautions for moms-to-be