Preventive care processes
This consumer summary presents information for people with severe gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) who are being treated by a doctor or other health care provider.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Do you have gastroesophageal reflux disease?
- What kinds of medicines can I take for GERD?
- Can surgery help?
- What about the new endoscopic procedures?
This 51-page action plan, developed in response to escalating concerns about falls and fall-related injuries among the aging population, highlights strategies and preliminary action steps developed by participants in the Falls Free Summit. Thirty-six strategies are proposed, based on input from Summit participants, and organized under five goal areas.
This action plan is organized as follows:
- Executive summary
- Overview of the Falls Free Summit...
This 66-page report describes the new understanding of dangerous drinking behavior by college students and its consequences for both drinkers and nondrinkers. It offers a simple framework aimed at changing the culture of drinking on college campuses. It addresses three primary constituencies: (1) individuals, including at-risk or alcohol-dependent drinkers; (2) the student population as a whole; and (3) the college and its surrounding community.
The report includes the following...
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This brochure provides information about the connection between tuberculosis (TB) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
This tool addresses the following questions:
- What is TB?
- How is TB spread?
- What are the symptoms of TB?
- What is the difference between TB disease and TB infection?
- Why is it important to know if I have TB and HIV infections?
- What is a TB skin test?
- What must I do if I have TB infection or TB...
This tool provides recommendations to persons living and working in community shelters regarding basic infection control information that will help to prevent exposure to or transmission of infectious agents. It provides recommendations on the following topics:
- General infection prevention techniques
- Hand hygiene
- Cleaning the living environment and personal items
- Staff management of sheltered persons with infectious diseases
This tool enables users to find out where they can learn more about getting a free or low-cost mammogram and Pap test. Users can access information for a specific State or Territory as well as for American Indian/Alaska Native organizations.
For each State/Territory/organization, the following types of information are provided:
- Contact information to learn more about getting screened
- Program information for breast and cervical cancer early detection
This fact sheet explains the risks of having a high blood cholesterol level and provides guidance on lowering high blood cholesterol.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Why is cholesterol important?
- How does cholesterol cause heart disease?
- What do your cholesterol numbers mean?
- What affects cholesterol levels?
- What is your risk of developing heart disease or having a heart attack?
- Treating high cholesterol ...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol misuse.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What is alcohol misuse?
- How effective are screening and counseling for alcohol misuse in the primary care setting?
- What are effective screening and counseling interventions?
- How can...
This guide for parents contains highlights from the report A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can help parents choose a college for their son or daughter, better understand campus culture, and get help for a student with an alcohol-related problem.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences
- Parents: A primary influence
- Parents of a high school...