Preventive care processes
Let’s Talk About Stroke is a series of downloadable patient information sheets, created by the American Stroke Association, that presents information in a question-and-answer format that’s brief, easy to follow, and easy to read. They can be used by physicians to foster communication with patients about stroke. Some are available in Spanish as well as English.
The patient information sheets cover two general topics: stroke prevention and life after stroke.
This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This brochure offers suggestions for preventing falls at home.
The brochure addresses the following topics:
- Hallways and stairs
This consumer summary presents information for people with severe gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) who are being treated by a doctor or other health care provider.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Do you have gastroesophageal reflux disease?
- What kinds of medicines can I take for GERD?
- Can surgery help?
- What about the new endoscopic procedures?
This 32-page guide provides a list of breast cancer resources, including organizations, documents, programs, and other resources.
The resources in this guide are arranged in the following categories:
- Risk factors
- Unchangeable risk factors
- Lifestyle-related risk factors
- Mammogram information
- Federal agencies and programs
- National organizations/programs
- State programs
- Community programs ...
Fit Facts TM are concise, one-page information sheets—more than 100 in all—each covering a different health or fitness topic. Each sheet contains valuable how-to information—from advice on the best type of exercise for weight loss to pointers on choosing a personal trainer.
These fact sheets cover the following topics:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Choosing fitness trainers and instructors
- Exercising with health challenges
This fact sheet, part of The Heart Truth campaign, provides key steps to help women in managing heart disease.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is heart disease?
- Screening tests
- Stress test
- Nuclear scan
- Coronary angiography
- Intracoronary ultrasound
- Risk factors
- Making lifestyle changes
This tool presents organizational and individual stress prevention and management approaches for disaster response workers.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Organizational approaches for stress prevention and management
- Individual approaches for stress prevention and management
- Normal reactions to a disaster event
- Signs that you may need stress management assistance
- Ways to help manage your stress
This guide describes cervical cancer, risk factors, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment options. It is organized into the following sections:
- What is it?
- Causes, risk factors, and prevention
- Early detection, diagnosis, and staging
- Treating cervical cancer
- Talking with your doctor
- More information
This 42-page guide for women presents healthy behaviors to prevent and manage the many health conditions that can affect them. The guide addresses the following topics:
- Recommended screenings and immunizations for women at average risk for most diseases and those at high-risk for specific diseases
- Medicare-covered preventive services
- Healthy heart and stroke prevention
- Warning signs of heart attack and stroke
- Healthy bones
- Breast cancer...