Preventive care processes
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is a voluntary health organization seeking to prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increase the availability of all organs for transplantation. Goals of the NKF include:
- Supporting research and research training
- Continuing education of health care professionals
- Expanding patient services and community resources
This 51-page action plan, developed in response to escalating concerns about falls and fall-related injuries among the aging population, highlights strategies and preliminary action steps developed by participants in the Falls Free Summit. Thirty-six strategies are proposed, based on input from Summit participants, and organized under five goal areas.
This action plan is organized as follows:
- Executive summary
- Overview of the Falls Free Summit...
This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for the primary prevention of chronic conditions. The USPSTF systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness of a wide range of clinical preventive services—including screening, counseling, and chemoprevention (the use of medication to prevent diseases)—to develop recommendations for preventive care in the primary care setting.
This brochure offers suggestions for preventing falls at home.
The brochure addresses the following topics:
- Hallways and stairs
This 32-page guide provides a list of breast cancer resources, including organizations, documents, programs, and other resources.
The resources in this guide are arranged in the following categories:
- Risk factors
- Unchangeable risk factors
- Lifestyle-related risk factors
- Mammogram information
- Federal agencies and programs
- National organizations/programs
- State programs
- Community programs ...
This guide provides information about eating fish to women who are or may become pregnant, or are nursing.
This tool presents the following information:
- Fish not to eat
- Fish to eat (up to 1 serving [6 ounces] per week)
- Fish to eat (Up to 2 servings [12 ounces] per week)
- Checking before eating fish caught in local waters
- Eating a variety of small, young, non-fatty fish
This fact sheet, part of The Heart Truth campaign, provides key steps to help women in managing heart disease.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is heart disease?
- Screening tests
- Stress test
- Nuclear scan
- Coronary angiography
- Intracoronary ultrasound
- Risk factors
- Making lifestyle changes
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about breast cancer prevention.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Breast cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about breast cancer risk factors
- Interventions for breast cancer prevention
- Benefits and harms of interventions to prevent breast cancer