Preventive care processes
This two-page table compares the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) updated (2006) recommendations with its earlier (2000) recommendations for the use of tumor markers in patients with gastrointestinal (GI) cancer.
This table compares the 2000 recommendations to the 2006 recommendations in these areas:
- Postoperative testing and monitoring of response to therapy using carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) as a marker for colorectal cancer
- Cancer management...
This checklist offers interventions to increase overall compliance with hand hygiene guidelines in a health care setting.
The interventions on this checklist address the following areas:
- Making changes on the walls and countertops and in the supply closet
- Actions for infection control professionals, patient safety managers, quality managers, nurses, and supply personnel
- Required policies/rules/training/awareness
- Promoting culture change
This key points card is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense.
The key points card provides recommendations for diabetes screening and for preventive care measures for people with diabetes mellitus, in the following categories:
- Primary prevention
- Secondary prevention
- Tertiary prevention
- Health preventive...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on routine vitamin supplementation to prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Topics addressed include:
- What does the USPSTF recommend?
- What does the evidence indicate?
- Should people take vitamin supplements?
- What are the potential harms of vitamin supplements?
- More information
This tool is designed for use by physicians to estimate an individual’s absolute risk of developing invasive melanoma and to help identify persons at higher risk in order to plan appropriate screening interventions with them.
The melanoma risk calculator was designed for use by health professionals during a routine physical exam that includes recording of information about the patient’s personal and family medical history and an examination of the skin on the patient’s back and...
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of prostate cancer.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information
- Cellular classification
- Stage information
- Tumor, nodes, metastasis (TNM) definitions
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage groupings
- Jewett staging system
This pocket guide provides a flowchart of the three aspects of lipid-related care described in the clinical practice guideline on the management of dyslipidemia: screening, initiation of therapy, and followup treatment.
This Web page contains children’s environmental health tips for every day in October, in observance of Children’s Health Month. These tips and related resources introduce prevention activities to keep children safe at home and at school.
These brochures are designed to help parents, teachers, and principals increase physical activity among elementary and middle school-aged youth.
- The parent brochure includes a checklist parents can use to help decide what organized activities they would like their child to join. It is also available in Spanish and Chinese.
- The teacher brochure includes tips and ideas for adding activity to lesson plans.
- The principal brochure includes tips on how principals can...
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...