Preventive care processes
This consumer summary presents information for people with severe gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) who are being treated by a doctor or other health care provider.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Do you have gastroesophageal reflux disease?
- What kinds of medicines can I take for GERD?
- Can surgery help?
- What about the new endoscopic procedures?
Fit Facts TM are concise, one-page information sheets—more than 100 in all—each covering a different health or fitness topic. Each sheet contains valuable how-to information—from advice on the best type of exercise for weight loss to pointers on choosing a personal trainer.
These fact sheets cover the following topics:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Choosing fitness trainers and instructors
- Exercising with health challenges
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of prostate cancer.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information
- Cellular classification
- Stage information
- Tumor, nodes, metastasis (TNM) definitions
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage groupings
- Jewett staging system
This Web page contains children’s environmental health tips for every day in October, in observance of Children’s Health Month. These tips and related resources introduce prevention activities to keep children safe at home and at school.
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is a voluntary health organization seeking to prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increase the availability of all organs for transplantation. Goals of the NKF include:
- Supporting research and research training
- Continuing education of health care professionals
- Expanding patient services and community resources
This Web site provides information about physical activity programs involving State departments of health. The site can be used to research programs, gather ideas, and share information.
This site includes the following sections:
- Search by State for ongoing programs involving State departments of health (choose to display inventory of programs or profile of State department of health)
- Search by keyword (search by program setting, target population, primary program...
This 51-page action plan, developed in response to escalating concerns about falls and fall-related injuries among the aging population, highlights strategies and preliminary action steps developed by participants in the Falls Free Summit. Thirty-six strategies are proposed, based on input from Summit participants, and organized under five goal areas.
This action plan is organized as follows:
- Executive summary
- Overview of the Falls Free Summit...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for the primary prevention of chronic conditions. The USPSTF systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness of a wide range of clinical preventive services—including screening, counseling, and chemoprevention (the use of medication to prevent diseases)—to develop recommendations for preventive care in the primary care setting.
This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This brochure offers suggestions for preventing falls at home.
The brochure addresses the following topics:
- Hallways and stairs