Preventive care processes
This 58-page pocket guide is provided as an information resource to assist physicians and other health professionals in the appropriate treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS. This pocket guide supports A Guide to Primary Care of People with HIV/AIDS, 2004 Edition , and provides an easy reference for point-of-care decisionmaking.
The guide includes the following information:
- Drug information tables
- Adult antiretroviral therapy tables
To help determine whether noninvasive tests are sufficiently accurate to be appropriate for evaluation of women with an abnormal mammogram or exam finding, this report summarizes available data on the performance of these tests in the evaluation of women presenting with breast abnormalities that suggest the possibility of breast cancer.
The report addresses the following questions:
- What are the sensitivity and specificity of the tests for diagnosis of breast cancer in women...
Fit Facts TM are concise, one-page information sheets—more than 100 in all—each covering a different health or fitness topic. Each sheet contains valuable how-to information—from advice on the best type of exercise for weight loss to pointers on choosing a personal trainer.
These fact sheets cover the following topics:
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Choosing fitness trainers and instructors
- Exercising with health challenges
This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This brochure offers suggestions for preventing falls at home.
The brochure addresses the following topics:
- Hallways and stairs
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) is a voluntary health organization seeking to prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increase the availability of all organs for transplantation. Goals of the NKF include:
- Supporting research and research training
- Continuing education of health care professionals
- Expanding patient services and community resources
This 32-page guide provides a list of breast cancer resources, including organizations, documents, programs, and other resources.
The resources in this guide are arranged in the following categories:
- Risk factors
- Unchangeable risk factors
- Lifestyle-related risk factors
- Mammogram information
- Federal agencies and programs
- National organizations/programs
- State programs
- Community programs ...
This fact sheet, part of The Heart Truth campaign, provides key steps to help women in managing heart disease.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is heart disease?
- Screening tests
- Stress test
- Nuclear scan
- Coronary angiography
- Intracoronary ultrasound
- Risk factors
- Making lifestyle changes
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for the primary prevention of chronic conditions. The USPSTF systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness of a wide range of clinical preventive services—including screening, counseling, and chemoprevention (the use of medication to prevent diseases)—to develop recommendations for preventive care in the primary care setting.
This tool presents organizational and individual stress prevention and management approaches for disaster response workers.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Organizational approaches for stress prevention and management
- Individual approaches for stress prevention and management
- Normal reactions to a disaster event
- Signs that you may need stress management assistance
- Ways to help manage your stress