Preventive care processes
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about breast cancer screening.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Breast cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about breast cancer risk factors
- Breast cancer screening modalities
- Benefits and harms of breast cancer screening
- Breast cancer screening in special populations...
This 73-page handbook provides tools that State and local agencies and community-based organizations can use to evaluate physical activity programs. These tools are designed to help users demonstrate program outcomes and continuously improve physical activity promotion programs.
This handbook includes the following sections:
- Six steps for evaluating physical activity programs
- Engage stakeholders
- Describe or plan the program
This tool provides information to women about HIV/AIDS research and clinical trials.
The following topics are addressed:
- Women’s Interagency HIV Study—Designed to investigate the history and course of HIV infection in women
- Clinical trials—Research studies designed to find out if new drugs, vaccines, or other treatments are safe and if they work
- Microbicide research—Research studies on microbicides, which are gels, creams, or foams that are applied to prevent...
This guide provides patients with information about the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s 2006 Update of Recommendations for the Use of Tumor Markers in Gastrointestinal Cancer. This guide is organized into the following sections:
- What This Means for Patients
- Questions to Ask the Doctor
- Helpful Links and Resources
The Celiac Disease Fact Sheet describes the disease, symptoms, screening, diagnosis, and treatment. This tool also gives examples of a gluten-free diet to aid patients who suffer from celiac disease.
This fact sheet is broken down into the following sections:
- What is celiac disease?
- What are the symptoms of celiac disease?
- Why are celiac disease symptoms so varied?
- How is celiac disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment?...
Created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this Web site gives 9- to 13-year-olds the information they need to make healthy lifestyle choices. The site focuses on topics that are important to youth–such as stress and physical fitness–using youth-friendly lingo, games, quizzes, and other interactive features.
The following topics are addressed on the Web site:
- Diseases–explains how scientists track diseases and how youth can stop them
- Food and...
This Confusion Assessment Method (CAM) training manual has been designed to assist with the administration and coding of the CAM, and to provide supplementary information for interested clinical investigators.
The CAM improves the identification and recognition of delirium in geriatric patients. CAM enables non-psychiatrically trained clinicians to identify delirium quickly and accurately in both clinical and research settings on the basis of an interview with the patient that...
This booklet can help parents and caregivers learn more about milk and calcium so they can help their children and teenagers grow into strong, healthy adults.
This booklet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Growing needs for milk
- Who needs the most calcium?...
Improving Immunizations: Addressing Racial and Ethnic Populations includes several case studies on the leading health indicator of immunization for infectious diseases, with a special focus on reducing racial and ethnic disparities.
The primer provides background information, practical recommendations, and solutions to commonly encountered questions that physicians face from diverse patient populations, case presentations for improving health care delivery, and resources.
This guide, part of The Heart Truth campaign, provides up-to-date information on women’s heart disease and practical suggestions for reducing the risk of heart-related problems.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- The heart truth
- Finding out your risk
- Major risk factors for heart disease
- Other factors that affect heart disease
- Taking control
- An action plan for heart health
- A family plan for heart...