Patient Care Process
This toolkit provides resources for policymakers, health plans, and clinicians and addresses the gap between what can be delivered to children with special health care needs and what is actually received.
This toolkit includes the following sections:
- Foreword: Who are children with special needs?
- Improving quality for children with special needs
- The challenge of serving children with special needs
- Opportunities to enhance services for children with...
This fact sheet, part of The Heart Truth campaign, provides key steps to help women in managing heart disease.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- What is heart disease?
- Screening tests
- Stress test
- Nuclear scan
- Coronary angiography
- Intracoronary ultrasound
- Risk factors
- Making lifestyle changes
The Dose Estimator (biodosimetry tools) can be used by providers to guide the needed therapy for patients with acute radiation syndrome.
The Dose Estimator addresses the following topics:
- Estimate exposure dose–Dose estimator:
- Onset of vomiting
- Lymphocyte depletion kinetics
- Dicentric chromosomes
- Explaining biodosimetry
- Suggest hematopoietic subsyndrome treatment, based on exposure dose and event size
This report examines questionnaires, surveys, and other instruments currently used to assess the services and quality of care in assisted living facilities across the United States including consumer-reported instruments, expert observational instruments, and provider-reported tools that evaluate services offered, the physical and cultural environments, staff issues, activities, social support, and contractual issues.
The report includes the following sections:
This six-page fact sheet, part of the Stay in Circulation national awareness campaign, answers key questions about peripheral arterial disease (P.A.D.) and provides steps patients can take to reduce their risk.
This tool provides the following information:
- What is P.A.D.?
- What causes P.A.D.?
- What are the signs and symptoms of P.A.D.?
- How is P.A.D. diagnosed?
- Medical and family history
- Physical exam
- Diagnostic tests
This issue brief examines resources that can assist hospitals and other health systems in preparing for bioterrorism disasters, and in conducting disaster drills in particular. It presents steps in the continuous cycle of disaster preparedness.
Topics addressed include:
- Conventional disasters versus bioterrorism
- Disaster planning: An ongoing community effort
- Continuous effort
- Key components
- Community-wide plan
- Hospital emergency...
This guide presents a brief summary of the research on violence prevention and intervention and crisis response in schools. It tells members of school communities–especially administrators, teachers, staff, families, students, and community-based professionals:
- What to look for–the early warning signs relative to violence and other troubling behaviors
- What to do–the action steps that school communities can take to prevent violence and other troubling behaviors, to...
This interactive decision-support tool assists consumers who are considering signing up for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.
After answering a short series of questions on this Web site, users will learn the following:
- How their current insurance or other prescription drug coverage affects their options and rights under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- Whether they qualify for extra help with their costs under Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage...
This brochure for people with diabetes describes the links between diabetes and cardiovascular disease and emphasizes the importance of maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Why should I care about heart disease and stroke if I have diabetes?
- Diabetes increases your risk for heart and blood vessel problems
- How does diabetes hurt my blood vessels?
- Fat in your blood
- What are healthy...
This slideshow presents a summary of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) guidelines for progressive prostate cancer. The following topics are presented:
- Guideline methodology
- 2006 update recommendation questions
- Initial treatment options
Combined androgen blockade
Early use of androgen deprivation therapy...