This patient guide is based on clinical guidelines written to help physicians who are evaluating and treating various types of thyroid dysfunction in women before, during, and after their pregnancy.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- Who is at higher risk of thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer during pregnancy?
- What special considerations apply to the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules during pregnancy?
- What is the recommended treatment...
Transforming Care at the Bedside is a national program designed to improve the quality and safety of patient care on medical and surgical units, to increase the vitality and retention of nurses, and to improve the effectiveness of the entire care team.
This how-to guide includes the following information:
- Four key components of an ideal transition home and individual changes that can be tested
- A practical step-by-step sequence of activities to assist staff in...
This self-assessment tool, developed by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) in conjunction with the National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ), allows organizations to understand the range and breadth of elements under patient- and family-centered care and to assess where they are against the leading edge of practice.
The tool can help providers assess their ability to integrate patients and family members into the care process in ways that help them...
The Diabetes Prevention and Management toolkit contains tools for adults, children, and health care providers.
The available tools include:
- Tools for adults
- Tools to help manage diabetes
- Personal diabetes care card
- Manage your diabetes brochure
- Tools to help prevent diabetes
- You have the power to prevent diabetes/the healthy plate handout
- Am I at risk for type 2 diabetes? booklet
- Your game...
Health Link ® is an interactive tool that estimates cancer risk by reviewing patterns of cancer in a family. It is a free service designed to help individuals learn more about their cancer risk and steps they can take to focus prevention efforts.
The How to Take Your Eye Medication fact sheet details a technique called nasolacrimal occlusion (NLO) that was designed to reduce the amount of medication that enters the body through the tear ducts, therefore reducing medication side effects. The fact sheet contains illustrations to demonstrate how to correctly use the NLO technique.
This toolkit has been designed to help staff at outpatient clinics and medical offices prevent, diagnose, treat, and reduce the transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
This toolkit includes the following materials:
- For clinic staff:
- How to use the toolkit
- Policy and procedure check list
- Assessing clinical practice
- Infection control manual
- Quick reference for environmental cleaning
The Center for Medical Genetics has created MyGenerations to help patients document their family cancer history and determine their own risk of developing cancer. MyGenerations also serves as a guide as to whether patients should seek genetics consultation and consider genetic testing.
- Build your personal family tree
- Record your family history of cancer
- Provide a printout of your family tree including your family’s cancer history ...
These fact sheets provide information about health, educational, and developmental issues related to Spina Bifida.
The facts sheets about Spina Bifida are on the following topics:
- Spotlight on Spina Bifida
- Agent Orange Benefits Act
- Depression and anxiety in individuals with Spina Bifida
- Educational issues among children with Spina Bifida
- Folic acid
- Genetics and Spina Bifida
- Hip function
- Hydrocephalus and...
This Web site was designed for teenagers and young adults with cancer to help them fight their disease. It includes a state-of-the-art video game called Re-Mission, which takes the player on a journey through the body of young patients with different kinds of cancer. The game is designed to be cool and fun, while helping players increase their personal knowledge about cancer and improve their confidence in their ability to manage their disease. The Web site also includes community forums,...