Setting of Care
This 15-page booklet provides information about breastfeeding to help American Indian and Alaska Native women.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- Benefits of breastfeeding for infants, mothers, the community, and the future
- Is breastfeeding easy?
- How do I get started?
- Answers to frequently asked questions about breastfeeding
- Where can I go for help?
- Summary of information for breastfeeding success
This one-page tool, in Microsoft(r) Word format, uses the colors of a stoplight to guide patients in managing their congestive heart failure symptoms. The tool is divided into green (“all clear”), yellow (“caution”), and red (“medical alert”) zones. For each zone, the tool provides signs and symptoms and allows the health care provider to give specific instructions for managing the condition, including guidance on when to seek emergency medical assistance.
This brochure provides information about scleroderma and helpful hints to cope with it.
This brochure is organized into the following sections:
- Coping with scleroderma
- The beginning
- The diagnosis
- The emotions
- Anger and depression
- Bargaining and acceptance
- Helpful hints
This guide for parents contains highlights from the report A Call to Action: Changing the Culture of Drinking at U.S. Colleges . It can help parents choose a college for their son or daughter, better understand campus culture, and get help for a student with an alcohol-related problem.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A snapshot of annual high-risk college drinking consequences
- Parents: A primary influence
- Parents of a high school...
This tool suggests activities to help children, following exposure to a disaster or traumatic event, share recovery feelings and experiences at home.
This tool presents at-home interventions for parents to engage in with their children. Interventions are provided for children in the following age groups:
- Elementary age children
- Preadolescents and adolescents
This guide provides information about eating fish to women who are or may become pregnant, or are nursing.
This tool presents the following information:
- Fish not to eat
- Fish to eat (up to 1 serving [6 ounces] per week)
- Fish to eat (Up to 2 servings [12 ounces] per week)
- Checking before eating fish caught in local waters
- Eating a variety of small, young, non-fatty fish
The Technical Assistance Costing Tool (TACT) is an Excel-based software tool that lets providers identify how much their services cost. It uses basic patient information to calculate patient care expenses, providing grantees with cost information on their clinical services that can then be used for billing and reimbursement with managed care organizations and other third party payers.
Topics addressed include:
- Who can benefit?
- What questions can TACT answer? ...
This guide will help people with HIV infection prevent illness by preparing food and drinks properly. This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- Why should I be careful about food and water?
- What illnesses caused by germs in food and water do people with HIV commonly get?
- Do only people with HIV get these illnesses?
- Are these illnesses the same in people with HIV as in other people?
- If I have HIV, can...
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...
This algorithm is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to:
- Promote evidence-based management of individuals with diabetes
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with diabetes mellitus, such as glycemic control, evaluation of the eyes and feet, and co-morbid conditions (e.g....