Setting of Care
The purpose of this guide is to assist States and communities in planning, designing, and implementing culturally competent disaster mental health services for survivors of natural and human-caused disasters of all scales.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Culture and disaster
- Understanding culture
- Diversity among and within racial and ethnic minority groups
- Cultural competence: Scope and terminology
- The cultural competence continuum...
Hazelden’s Resources for Employers provides information to help employers prevent and address alcohol and drug addiction problems in the workplace.
Resources available include:
- Articles and products related to substance abuse
- Assessment - Is it addiction?
- FAQs about Hazelden programs
- Mental health fact sheets
- Drinking self-test
- Twelve Steps - Twelve Traditions
This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of toxoplasmosis (toxo). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is toxo?
- What are the symptoms of toxo-related illness?
- How is toxo spread (or transmitted)?
- How can I protect myself from toxo infection?
- What happens when someone with HIV has toxo infection?
- What should I do to prevent an...
This 32-page booklet will help patients and their health care providers plan ways to control asthma.
This booklet addresses the following topics:
- What is asthma?
- Why does asthma happen?
- Work with your health care provider
- How to use a peak flow meter
- Asthma diary
- Asthma action plan
- Asthma medicine
- How to take asthma medicines
- Asthma attacks can be dangerous
- Follow your asthma action plan
This Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) initiative on school violence—Safe Schools/ Healthy Students—focuses on the collective involvement of families, communities, and schools to build resiliency to disruptive behavior disorders. The initiative is a grant program designed to develop real-world knowledge about what works best to reduce school violence. The underlying principles of the program are to:
- Marry security with healthy childhood development
This three-page guideline summary is a 2006 update of the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) recommendations for the use of antiemetics in oncology.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- Chemotherapy-induced emesis
- Radiation-induced emesis
Three tables summarize the following topics:
- Antiemetic agents and regimens, emetic risk categories, special emetic problems, and radiation-induced emesis
- Emetic risk of...
This guide provides facts and practical advice for parents on how to talk with their children about underage drinking. The guide supports the Start Talking Before They Start Drinking Campaign to combat underage drinking and to educate parents, youth, and others on the issue of alcohol abuse.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- What you need to know
- Underage drinking
- Alcohol and judgment
- Family influence
- What you...
The Manager’s Kit includes all of the resources businesses need to build comprehensive HIV/AIDS workplace programs. The kit, which is available in English and Spanish, reviews the five components of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Business/Labor Responds to AIDS (BRTA/LRTA) program and enables managers to perform the following functions:
- Develop HIV/AIDS policies for their workplaces
- Train managers to conduct HIV/AIDS workshops
- Educate staff/...
This 21-page tool was developed to guide organizations, associations, and agencies in planning strategies to help people age 50 and older increase their physical activity.
This tool includes the following sections:
- Executive summary
- Section one
- Vision and guiding principles
- A snapshot of America’s aging population
- Types and benefits of physical activity
- Demographic shifts
- Chronic illness and the aging...
This tool is part of the Back to Sleep campaign, an effort to educate families and caregivers about putting healthy infants on their backs to sleep to help reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). This tool explains ways to reduce the risk of SIDS and provide a safe sleep environment for infants.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- What is SIDS?
- What should I know about SIDS?
- Fast facts about SIDS
- What can I do to lower my baby’s...