Providers can use this calculator to estimate kidney function in children by measuring the glomerular filtration rate (GFR).
The following information is entered into this tool to calculate GFR:
- Serum creatinine
- Age group
- Preemie infants
- Term infants to 1 year old
- Children to 13 years old
The AIDS info Drug Database provides HIV/AIDS drug fact sheets for the drugs most commonly used to treat patients with HIV/AIDS. The database includes fact sheets for both Food and Drug Administration-approved and investigational drugs. For each drug, patient, health professional, and Spanish versions are available. All three include links to an audio file of the correct pronunciation, as well as a link to additional sources of information about the drug.
Patient versions of...
The Hepatitis C Education Class toolkit is intended to provide clinicians with a how-to guide and various resources for conducting a patient education class on hepatitis C.
This toolkit contains a course guide, slide set and script, and slideshow with audio.
The slide set and script are designed for health providers to use with their patients who have hepatitis C infection or who tested positive for hepatitis C at some time in the past. The class runs about an hour and...
This 162-page resource guide is designed to help States assess their quality of diabetes care and fashion quality improvement strategies suited to State conditions.
This resource guide is divided into six modules:
- Module 1: Background (making the case for diabetes care quality improvement)
- Module 2: Data (understanding the foundation of quality improvement)
- Module 3: Information (interpreting State estimates of diabetes quality)
- Module 4: Action (...
This patient education guide provides information about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and important steps for better living for people diagnosed with the disease.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Living well with COPD
- What is COPD?
- Inside your lungs
- How COPD affects the body
- Causes of COPD
- Symptoms of COPD
- Making the diagnosis
- Important steps for better living with COPD
This 40-page guideline summary is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to:
- Promote evidence-based management of individuals with diabetes
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with diabetes mellitus, such as glycemic control, evaluation of the eyes and feet, and comorbid conditions (e...
This brochure emphasizes the importance of a balanced diet for people managing their diabetes. It describes food groups using examples and demonstrates how to balance a meal.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Easy eating for diabetes
- What to eat for lunch and dinner
- Meats, poultry, soy products, and fish
- Grains, breads, and starches
- One idea for a...
This 108-page report examines alternatives for managing the chronic symptoms of uncomplicated gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in patients who may require long-term treatment. It summarizes the available evidence comparing the efficacy and safety of medical, surgical, and endoscopic interventions in the treatment of chronic GERD, particularly after long-term followup.
This report addresses the following questions:
- What is the evidence of the comparative effectiveness...
This slideshow summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO’s) guidelines for the surveillance of patients following treatment for stage II or III colorectal cancer.
This slideshow presents information in the following categories:
- Benefits from the resection of metastatic colorectal cancer
- Guideline methodology
- 2005 categories of recommendations for colorectal cancer surveillance
- History and physical and risk...
The Celiac Disease Fact Sheet describes the disease, symptoms, screening, diagnosis, and treatment. This tool also gives examples of a gluten-free diet to aid patients who suffer from celiac disease.
This fact sheet is broken down into the following sections:
- What is celiac disease?
- What are the symptoms of celiac disease?
- Why are celiac disease symptoms so varied?
- How is celiac disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment?...