The Queueing ToolPak (QTP) is a Microsoft Excel add-in that performs basic calculations for waiting line analysis. The functions allow integration of queueing performance measures into spreadsheet models without the limitations imposed by templates with fixed input and output areas that are commonly used for analysis of waiting lines.
This patient guide is based on clinical guidelines written to help physicians who are evaluating and treating various types of thyroid dysfunction in women before, during, and after their pregnancy.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- Who is at higher risk of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy?
- What special considerations apply to the diagnosis and management of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy and postpartum?
- What is the recommended treatment for...
This toolkit is designed to facilitate the communication of critical test results from the lab or nurse to the physician. Critical test results are defined as any test result that may result in serious outcomes for patients. Improving communication of critical test results can reduce the rate of adverse events, because the physician has time to intervene.
The toolkit includes the following:
- A sample worksheet for recording the reporting of critical values
- Sources of...
This patient education guide provides information about the next steps after a pulmonary nodule has been detected.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Your lungs
- What is a pulmonary nodule?
- Who are all these doctors?
- Finding out if the nodule might be cancer
- Biopsy of the nodule
- What does this mean for me?
- What if I can’t have or don’t want to have surgery?
- Should I consider a clinical study?
- Planning for...
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of breast cancer and pregnancy.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- Stage information
- Treatment option overview
- Other considerations for pregnancy and breast cancer
- Fetal consequences of maternal breast cancer
- Consequences of pregnancy in patients with a history...
This Web site presents information about the prevention, detection, treatment, and care of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Prevention Information Network (NPIN), which is the U.S. reference, referral, and distribution service for information on HIV/AIDS, STDs, and tuberculosis (TB). NPIN produces, collects, catalogs, and disseminates materials and information on STDs to organizations and people working in those...
This fact sheet outlines some conditions to be considered when providing health care to evacuees. Conditions are organized according to presenting symptoms and also alphabetically.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Presenting symptoms
- Altered mental status/central nervous system syndromes
- Fever with poorly localized signs
- Diarrheal illness
- Skin and soft tissue lesions and...
This two-page table compares the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s (ASCO) updated (2006) recommendations with its earlier (2000) recommendations for the use of tumor markers in patients with gastrointestinal (GI) cancer.
This table compares the 2000 recommendations to the 2006 recommendations in these areas:
- Postoperative testing and monitoring of response to therapy using carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) as a marker for colorectal cancer
- Cancer management...
This tool answers common questions about coughing including:
- Is coughing normal or abnormal?
- What causes cough?
- How does the body know when to make you cough?
- What is the cause if a person cannot stop coughing?
- Why is whooping cough (Pertussis) a common cause of subacute cough in adults? Isn’t whooping cough a childhood disease of the past?
- What about the causes of chronic cough?
- What about smoking as a cause of cough?
- If you...
This guide describes cervical cancer, risk factors, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment options. It is organized into the following sections:
- What is it?
- Causes, risk factors, and prevention
- Early detection, diagnosis, and staging
- Treating cervical cancer
- Talking with your doctor
- More information