This table provides the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s previous and current recommendations for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer.
This table provides the previous (2004) and current (2007) recommendations for the following topics:
- Is combined androgen blockade better than castration alone?
- Does early androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) improve outcomes over deferred therapy?
This guide provides facts about and side effects of radiation therapy and describes how patients can care for themselves during and after treatment.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Questions and answers about radiation therapy
- External beam radiation therapy
- Internal radiation therapy
- Your feelings during radiation therapy
- Radiation therapy side effects
- Radiation therapy side effects at-a-glance
This 14-page patient guide provides information on many aspects of lung transplantation. The tool is divided into the following sections:
- Why are lung transplants needed?
- Diseases and conditions that affect the lungs
- What kind of transplants can be considered?
- Can you be considered for lung transplantation?
- How will your transplant candidacy be evaluated?
- Benefits and risks of lung transplantation
- What will happen when you are...
This tool will help men learn about early-stage prostate cancer, current treatments, and the pros and cons of each treatment.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Things to remember
- Three men…three different treatment choices
- Facts about prostate cancer
- What is the prostate?
- Thinking about treatment choices
- Medical tests and terms
- Types of treatment...
This tool offers general advice to help patients learn more about their medical problem and how it can be treated. A video Web program based on the booklet tells viewers what experts have to say about coming to grips with illness.
The 28-page booklet addresses the following topics:
- Step 1: Take the time you need
- Step 2: Get the support you need
- Step 3: Talk with your doctor
- Step 4: Seek out information
- Step 5: Decide on a treatment...
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to conduct a systematic review of the literature available through February 2004 on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer. This three-page tool summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by ASCO.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- How should the results of SNB be utilized in clinical practice? Can full axillary lymph...
This fact sheet for high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the symptoms of a concussion?
- What should I do if I think I have a concussion?
- How can I prevent a concussion?
This tool by the American Cancer Society provides lists of questions to guide women with breast cancer in talking with their cancer care team.
The questions are organized into the following sections:
- When you’re told you have breast cancer
- When deciding on a treatment plan
- Before treatment
- During and after treatment
- Other questions I need answered (blank template for additional questions)
This summary provides patients with information about treatment for different types of breast cancer.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information about breast cancer
- Stages of breast cancer
- Inflammatory breast cancer
- Recurrent breast cancer
- Treatment option overview
- Treatment options by stage
- Treatment options for inflammatory breast cancer
- Treatment options for recurrent breast...
This slideshow summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by the American Society of Clinical Oncology on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer.
This slideshow addresses the following topics:
- Guideline methodology
- Guideline questions
- Can full axillary lymph node dissection be avoided in patients with negative findings on SNB?
- Is full axillary lymph node dissection necessary for all patients...