This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of toxoplasmosis (toxo). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is toxo?
- What are the symptoms of toxo-related illness?
- How is toxo spread (or transmitted)?
- How can I protect myself from toxo infection?
- What happens when someone with HIV has toxo infection?
- What should I do to prevent an...
This tool answers questions about avian influenza (bird flu) and avian influenza A (H5N1).
Questions and answers are grouped into the following categories:
- Avian influenza
- Avian influenza A (H5N1)
- Influenza pandemic preparedness
- Avian influenza infection in animals
This table provides the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s previous and current recommendations for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive metastatic, recurrent, or progressive prostate cancer.
This table provides the previous (2004) and current (2007) recommendations for the following topics:
- Is combined androgen blockade better than castration alone?
- Does early androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) improve outcomes over deferred therapy?
This fact sheet for high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the symptoms of a concussion?
- What should I do if I think I have a concussion?
- How can I prevent a concussion?
This tool by the American Cancer Society provides lists of questions to guide women with breast cancer in talking with their cancer care team.
The questions are organized into the following sections:
- When you’re told you have breast cancer
- When deciding on a treatment plan
- Before treatment
- During and after treatment
- Other questions I need answered (blank template for additional questions)
This tool will help men learn about early-stage prostate cancer, current treatments, and the pros and cons of each treatment.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Things to remember
- Three men…three different treatment choices
- Facts about prostate cancer
- What is the prostate?
- Thinking about treatment choices
- Medical tests and terms
- Types of treatment...
This tool offers general advice to help patients learn more about their medical problem and how it can be treated. A video Web program based on the booklet tells viewers what experts have to say about coming to grips with illness.
The 28-page booklet addresses the following topics:
- Step 1: Take the time you need
- Step 2: Get the support you need
- Step 3: Talk with your doctor
- Step 4: Seek out information
- Step 5: Decide on a treatment...
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to conduct a systematic review of the literature available through February 2004 on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer. This three-page tool summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by ASCO.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- How should the results of SNB be utilized in clinical practice? Can full axillary lymph...
This tool gives health care workers information about the risks of occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens, including hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and suggests actions to be taken when such exposures occur.
The following health topics are discussed:
- Occupational exposures to blood
- If an exposure occurs
- Risk of infection after exposure
- Treatment for the exposure
- Followup after...
This evidence report presents the results of a systematic review to evaluate B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) and N-terminal proBNP (NT-proBNP) as promising markers for heart failure diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment.
The evidence report is organized as follows:
- Heart failure
- Determinants of BNPs
- Diagnosis of heart failure using BNPs
- Prognostic utility of BNPs
- Treatment monitoring using BNPs