This tool is designed to help hospitals assess their medication safety practices surrounding the use of antithrombotic therapy. Many of the items included in the tool represent system improvements and safeguards that the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) has recommended in response to the analysis of medication errors reported to the U.S. Pharmacopeia-ISMP Medication Errors Reporting Program, problems identified during on-site consultations with hospitals, and guidelines in the...
This 151-page resource guide was developed as a learning tool for State officials who want to improve the quality of health care for people with asthma in their States. The guide is designed to help officials assess quality of care, using State-level data, and fashion quality improvement strategies suited to State conditions. The Resource Guide and its complementary Workbook can serve as tools for sharing the expertise, ideas, knowledge, and solutions of those involved in...
This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of toxoplasmosis (toxo). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is toxo?
- What are the symptoms of toxo-related illness?
- How is toxo spread (or transmitted)?
- How can I protect myself from toxo infection?
- What happens when someone with HIV has toxo infection?
- What should I do to prevent an...
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to conduct a systematic review of the literature available through February 2004 on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer. This three-page tool summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by ASCO.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- How should the results of SNB be utilized in clinical practice? Can full axillary lymph...
This fact sheet for high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the symptoms of a concussion?
- What should I do if I think I have a concussion?
- How can I prevent a concussion?
This tool by the American Cancer Society provides lists of questions to guide women with breast cancer in talking with their cancer care team.
The questions are organized into the following sections:
- When you’re told you have breast cancer
- When deciding on a treatment plan
- Before treatment
- During and after treatment
- Other questions I need answered (blank template for additional questions)
This tool will help men learn about early-stage prostate cancer, current treatments, and the pros and cons of each treatment.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Things to remember
- Three men…three different treatment choices
- Facts about prostate cancer
- What is the prostate?
- Thinking about treatment choices
- Medical tests and terms
- Types of treatment...
This tool offers general advice to help patients learn more about their medical problem and how it can be treated. A video Web program based on the booklet tells viewers what experts have to say about coming to grips with illness.
The 28-page booklet addresses the following topics:
- Step 1: Take the time you need
- Step 2: Get the support you need
- Step 3: Talk with your doctor
- Step 4: Seek out information
- Step 5: Decide on a treatment...
This slideshow summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by the American Society of Clinical Oncology on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer.
This slideshow addresses the following topics:
- Guideline methodology
- Guideline questions
- Can full axillary lymph node dissection be avoided in patients with negative findings on SNB?
- Is full axillary lymph node dissection necessary for all patients...
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the classification and treatment of adult Hodgkin lymphoma.
This tool is organized into the following sections:
- General information about adult Hodgkin lymphoma
- Cellular classification of adult Hodgkin lymphoma
- Stage information for adult Hodgkin lymphoma
- Treatment option overview