This summary provides patients with information on treatment options for colon cancer.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- General information about colon cancer
- Stages of colon cancer
- Recurrent colon cancer
- Treatment options overview
- Treatment options for colon cancer
- Stage 0 colon cancer
- Stage I colon cancer
- Stage II colon cancer
- Stage III colon cancer
- Stage IV and...
This treatment algorithm for the initial hormonal management of androgen-sensitive advanced cancer is derived from the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations on hormone therapy for advanced prostate cancer.
This one-page tool provides recommendations in the following areas:
- Discuss treatment options and early vs. late androgen ablation with patients
- Bilateral orchiectomy
- Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists...
This tool presents organizational and individual stress prevention and management approaches for disaster response workers.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Organizational approaches for stress prevention and management
- Individual approaches for stress prevention and management
- Normal reactions to a disaster event
- Signs that you may need stress management assistance
- Ways to help manage your stress
This patient tool describes different therapies for Guillain-Barré syndrome and the evidence for and against these treatments.
This tool addresses the following questions:
- What is Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)?
- What does “immunotherapy” mean?
- What are the immunotherapy treatments used to treat GBS?
- Intravenous immune globulin (IVIg)
- Plasma exchange
- Combined treatments
This fact sheet provides answers to frequently asked questions about gonorrhea. It addresses the following topics:
- What is gonorrhea?
- How do you get gonorrhea?
- Who is at risk for gonorrhea?
- What are the symptoms of gonorrhea?
- Are there tests for gonorrhea?
- How is gonorrhea treated?
- What happens if gonorrhea isn’t treated?
- Can gonorrhea cause problems during pregnancy?
- How can I keep from getting gonorrhea?
The goal of this 87-page curriculum is to help health professionals and others who work with college students to identify and treat students who are at risk for or have alcohol-related problems. The methods presented are based on science and clinical experience and have been tested and used in a variety of settings. The protocols were specifically designed for busy, high-volume practices.
The curriculum is divided into the following teaching modules:
- Epidemiology and...
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...
This guide for people with HIV infection provides information about the prevention and treatment of Mycobacterium avium complex disease (MAC). This tool is also available in Spanish.
This guide addresses the following questions:
- What is MAC disease?
- Can children get MAC disease?
- What are the symptoms of MAC disease?
- How is MAC disease diagnosed?
- How do people get MAC disease?
- How can I avoid MAC disease?
This patient guide summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations on hormone therapy for men with advanced prostate cancer.
This patient guide addresses the following topics:
This booklet is for patients who are facing surgery that is not an emergency. It provides some questions patients can ask their primary care doctor and surgeon before having surgery as well as the reasons for asking these questions. This tool addresses the following topics:
- Care about your health
- Get the basic facts
- Learn about the benefits and risks
- Learn how to get more information
- Find out more about your operation
- Make sure your surgery...