This brochure for Veterans Administration (VA) health care providers describes secondary prevention activities for patients with HIV.
This brochure answers the following questions:
- What is secondary HIV prevention?
- What are the goals of secondary HIV prevention?
- Who in VA medical centers, clinics, and Vet Centers can conduct secondary HIV prevention activities?
- Why should VA health care providers practice secondary HIV prevention activities with...
This Web site provides access to public service announcements (PSAs) and podcasts on topics related to hurricane safety. Users can download PSAs and podcasts directly from the site or subscribe to receive a different hurricane podcast each week during hurricane season. The site includes scripts for all messages, as well as audio files for most. Some messages are also available in video and/or American Sign Language format. All messages are also available in Spanish.
This pocket guide is condensed from Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician’s Guide, a 30-page guide prepared by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) . It is organized into the following sections, using flowchart or tabular format:
- How to screen for heavy drinking
- How to assess for alcohol use disorders
- How to conduct a brief intervention (for at-risk drinking and for alcohol use disorders)
- What’s a...
This tool kit provides information for clinicians on preventing fetal alcohol syndrome. It contains information on how to screen and advise patients about the risks of drinking while pregnant and encourages the use of effective contraception among patients who continue to engage in risky drinking behaviors.
The tool kit includes screening and brief intervention tools for the clinican and one-page patient education handouts for download.
Tool kit components include:...
This fact sheet provides information for pregnant women who have tested positive for group B streptococcus (GBS) on how to protect their babies during pregnancy, when their water breaks or labor begins, and after the baby is born. It also includes GBS symptoms that babies may exhibit.
The Asthma Action Plan is a one-page form that the doctor and patient can complete together. It provides information and instructions for patients’ self-management of asthma and includes space for the doctor to fill in directions for medication, peak flow numbers, asthma triggers, and what to do in case of an asthma attack or an emergency.
This brochure includes information about group B strep (GBS) and steps that pregnant women can take before they go into labor and when their water breaks to prevent their baby from being infected with GBS.
- What is GBS?
- Being a carrier for these bacteria does not mean you have an infection.
- Ask your doctor for a GBS test when you are 35 to 37 weeks pregnant.
- The antibiotic is only given during labor.
- What you can do before...
This tool is a collection of fact sheets on drug abuse and addiction.
These fact sheets are organized in the following categories:
- Effects of drug abuse
- Health effects of specific drugs
- Prevention and treatment
- Survey data