This tool provides key facts about hurricane preparedness and evacuation.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preparing for a hurricane
- Emergency supplies you will need
- Preparing to evacuate
- If you are ordered to evacuate
- If you are ordered NOT to evacuate
This 51-page action plan, developed in response to escalating concerns about falls and fall-related injuries among the aging population, highlights strategies and preliminary action steps developed by participants in the Falls Free Summit. Thirty-six strategies are proposed, based on input from Summit participants, and organized under five goal areas.
This action plan is organized as follows:
- Executive summary
- Overview of the Falls Free Summit...
The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to save lives by increasing awareness of breast cancer through education and by providing mammograms for those in need.
Web site topics/features include:
- Beyond the shock - A step by step guide to understanding the diagnosis of breast cancer
- Library - Tools and resources to learn about breast cancer
- Signs and symptoms
The Bright Futures for Women’s Health and Wellness (BFWHW) initiative is a project of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Office of Women’s Health. The mission of BFWHW is to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a variety of culturally competent consumer, provider, and community-based products for all women across their lifespan—including underserved and minority women. The Bright Futures materials help to promote women’s...
This fact sheet addresses overweight in children and provides recommendations on its prevention.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Is this generation of youth really more overweight than previous generations?
- How does being overweight affect a child’s health?
- 10 serious health threats for overweight youth
- How do you determine if a child is overweight?
- Should an overweight child go on a diet?
- Why are more children today...
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) provides leadership in aging research, training, health information dissemination, and other programs relevant to aging and older people.This Web site includes the following:
- Publications: Information and tips on healthy aging, care giving, medications, dietary supplements, and diseases
- Clinical trials: Federally and privately supported clinical research with human volunteers
- Related sites: A list of National Institutes of...
This fact sheet can be used by health care providers to educate patients who are lactose intolerant about how they can get enough calcium each day.
This fact sheet is part of Milk Matters, a public health education campaign to promote calcium consumption among tweens and teens, especially during the ages of 11 to 15, a time of critical bone growth.
This fact sheet answers the following questions:
- Are there different types of lactose intolerance?
The aim of this booklet is to provide accurate information about alcohol use and misuse by women of various ages.
The booklet addresses the following topics:
- Women and drinking
- How much is too much?
- Moderate drinking: Benefits and risks
- Heavy drinking
- Alcohol in women’s lives: Safe drinking over a lifetime
- Women in young and middle adulthood
- Older women
The purpose of the National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center (OHRC) is to respond to the needs of States and communities in addressing current and emerging public oral health issues. OHRC supports health professionals, program administrators, educators, policymakers, and others with the goal of improving oral health services for infants, children, adolescents, and their families. The resource center collaborates with Federal, State, and local agencies; national and State...
This guide presents a brief summary of the research on violence prevention and intervention and crisis response in schools. It tells members of school communities–especially administrators, teachers, staff, families, students, and community-based professionals:
- What to look for–the early warning signs relative to violence and other troubling behaviors
- What to do–the action steps that school communities can take to prevent violence and other troubling behaviors, to...