This Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) initiative on school violence—Safe Schools/ Healthy Students—focuses on the collective involvement of families, communities, and schools to build resiliency to disruptive behavior disorders. The initiative is a grant program designed to develop real-world knowledge about what works best to reduce school violence. The underlying principles of the program are to:
- Marry security with healthy childhood development
This five-page guide for older adults provides information on how to avoid medication and alcohol misuse.
This guide includes the following sections:
- Take steps on your own
- Signals that may indicate an alcohol- or medication-related problem
- Talk to someone you trust
- Share the right information with your health care professional
- List your prescription and over-the-counter medicines, as well as your dietary supplements and herbal preparations...
For those who are not immunized against the flu, this tool presents three suggestions to help reduce the chances of getting the illness.
This PDQ cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about colorectal cancer prevention.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Postmenopausal hormone use
- Diet modification
- Polyp removal
- Incidence and mortality
- Definition of...
This cancer information summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about ovarian cancer prevention.
Information about the following is included in this summary:
- Ovarian cancer incidence and mortality statistics and information about ovarian cancer risk factors
- Interventions for ovarian cancer prevention
This one-page flier is intended for parents and contains information about protecting children from sun exposure.
This tool provides links for downloading five campaign posters that emphasize the importance of personal protective equipment and handwashing as a means to reduce the risk of infection in health care settings. These posters are intended for both clinical and general audiences. Two of the posters are also available in Spanish.
This tool presents some signs and symptoms of serious health conditions, which should be checked by a doctor or nurse including:
- Signs of a heart attack
- Signs of a stroke
- Symptoms of reproductive health problems
- Symptoms of breast problems
- Symptoms of lung problems
- Symptoms of stomach or digestive problems
- Symptoms of bladder problems
- Symptoms of skin problems
- Symptoms of muscle or joint problems
- Symptoms of...
This brochure, for people with a family history of alcoholism, addresses genetic and behavioral factors influencing the risk for alcoholism. The brochure provides the following general guidelines on how to:
- Avoid underage drinking
- Drink moderately as an adult
- Talk to a health care professional
This brochure also includes a list of organizations that can provide help or information about alcohol abuse or alcoholism, as well as a short list of related...
The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking has tools needed to take action against underage drinking. It explains why underage alcohol use is a major public health and safety issue and the damage it can do. It also suggests ways to end underage drinking in communities and across the country.