This checklist is used to document activities that are considered standard practice in a critical care unit before, during, and after a central line procedure. It helps to insure that all processes related to central line placement are executed for each line placement, thereby leading to a reliable process.
This worksheet helps to reduce intensive care unit (ICU) length of stay and mortality while increasing the care team’s understanding of the daily goals for patients in the ICU including:
- What work needs to happen for the patient to leave the ICU
- What is the greatest safety risk to the patient
- What are the key processes for ventilator patients
- What are the scheduled labs for the patient
- Catheter care
- What can be done to assist in...
This guide is designed to help health care providers prevent catheter-related bloodstream infections by implementing the five components of care called the “central line bundle.” The central line bundle is a group of evidence-based interventions for patients with intravascular central catheters that, when implemented together, result in better outcomes than when implemented individually. The science supporting each bundle component is sufficiently established to be considered the standard...
The Ventilator Bundle Checklist helps track an organization’s compliance with implementing each element of the Ventilator Bundle. The Ventilator Bundle is a series of interventions related to ventilator care that, when implemented together, will achieve significantly better outcomes than when implemented individually.
The key components of the bundle are:
- Elevation of the head of the bed
- Daily “sedation vacations” and assessment of readiness to extubate...
The Queueing ToolPak (QTP) is a Microsoft Excel add-in that performs basic calculations for waiting line analysis. The functions allow integration of queueing performance measures into spreadsheet models without the limitations imposed by templates with fixed input and output areas that are commonly used for analysis of waiting lines.
This toolkit focuses on two interventions to improve critical care—reduction of catheter-related bloodstream infections and ventilator-associated pneumonia.
The toolkit includes:
- Prevention of catheter-related bloodstream infections
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 1
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia - part 2
- Sedation and delirium: monitoring and management
- Prevention of ventilator-associated...
Medical errors can occur at many points in the health care system, particularly in hospitals. This 2-page fact sheet provides the following 10 tips that hospitals can implement to improve patient safety:
- Assess and improve patient safety culture (by surveying unit staff)
- Build teamwork (by improving staff communication)
- Limit shifts for hospital staff, if possible
- Insert chest tubes safely
- Prevent central line-related bloodstream infections...