This brochure provides health care professionals with tips to enhance care in the emergency department (ED) for people who have attempted suicide. It also provides information on the Health Insurance Portable and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), patient discharge, and resources about suicide for medical professionals, patients, and their families.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- Patient care in the ED: Helpful...
This guide is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- The facts
- Recognizing a possible concussion
- When a concussion is suspected
- Prevention and preparation
- Communicating effectively about concussions
This 39-page workbook will help State leaders develop the information needed to support quality improvement efforts for asthma-related health care. The written exercises help users begin to think about effective partnerships, assembly of State data, questions to raise about interpretation of the data, and quality improvement techniques.
The following modules are presented in this workbook:
- Module 1: Making the case for asthma care quality improvement
- Assess the...
This 151-page resource guide was developed as a learning tool for State officials who want to improve the quality of health care for people with asthma in their States. The guide is designed to help officials assess quality of care, using State-level data, and fashion quality improvement strategies suited to State conditions. The Resource Guide and its complementary Workbook can serve as tools for sharing the expertise, ideas, knowledge, and solutions of those involved in...
This tool provides hand hygiene tips and suggestions for hand washing when running water is not available.
Tips are provided on:
- When you should wash your hands
- Using alcohol-based hand sanitizers
- Washing with soap and water
This tool can help consumers identify the symptoms of a heart attack.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Warning signs of a heart attack
- Getting help quickly
- Planning ahead
This 11-minute DVD uses video excerpts from 50 actual chest tube insertion procedures to illustrate problems that may occur. The DVD can be used as a tutorial for physicians in hospitals, including surgical and emergency department residents, on the correct technique for inserting chest tubes and the common pitfalls in clinical practice.
The Web site provides the following information:
- Key messages
- Information for ordering the DVD
This issue brief examines resources that can assist hospitals and other health systems in preparing for bioterrorism disasters, and in conducting disaster drills in particular. It presents steps in the continuous cycle of disaster preparedness.
Topics addressed include:
- Conventional disasters versus bioterrorism
- Disaster planning: An ongoing community effort
- Continuous effort
- Key components
- Community-wide plan
- Hospital emergency...
This fact sheet presents information for parents and communities concerned about the potential for disease outbreak when the residents of disaster-affected areas migrate to other States.
The following topics are addressed in this fact sheet:
- School-age evacuees do not pose an increased health risk in schools
- Illnesses in school-age evacuees should be treated the same as under normal conditions
- Guidance on accepting a school-age evacuee into the...
This tool is a prototype form that can be customized to document the assessment and treatment of adult patients exposed to radiation.
This form provides space to record the following types of information:
- Vital signs
- Special orders for radiation contamination
- Height and weight
- Peripheral IV management
- Foley catheter management
- Monitor intake/...