The Institute on Domestic Violence in the African American Community provides an interdisciplinary vehicle and forum by which scholars, practitioners, and observers of family violence in the African American community have the continual opportunity to articulate their perspectives on family violence through research findings, the examination of service delivery and intervention mechanisms, and the identification of appropriate and effective responses to prevent/reduce family violence in the...
Health literacy is the ability to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions and follow instructions for treatment.
This kit for clinicians includes a clinician’s guide and videos.
The guide, “Health literacy and patient safety: Help patients understand” includes the following:
- Health literacy
- National Assessment of Adult Literacy
- Population groups at risk...
This toolkit provides resources for policymakers, health plans, and clinicians and addresses the gap between what can be delivered to children with special health care needs and what is actually received.
This toolkit includes the following sections:
- Foreword: Who are children with special needs?
- Improving quality for children with special needs
- The challenge of serving children with special needs
- Opportunities to enhance services for children with...
These posters are designed to generate interest about the dangers of drinking during pregnancy and to encourage women and significant others to seek additional information. Posters may be ordered or downloaded in PDF format. A customizable “drop-in” poster allows different groups and tribal organizations to customize the text and photo for their own use.
The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) collects information and resources to assist those working to end sexual violence and to improve resources, outreach, and responses.
NSVRC resources include:
- Materials: Information on types of sexual violence, outreach and prevention strategies/responses
- Organization: Links and information on programs working to end sexual violence
- Library: Online access to NSVRC’s database of print and electronic...
This guide will help transplant patients learn how to navigate the transplantation process. It can also serve as a journal during visits with the transplant team.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- The transplant experience
- The transplant team
- What are transplant centers?
- What are organ procurement organizations?
- Support groups and other contacts
- The national waiting list
- Waiting for a transplant...
This brochure provides advice to help consumers quit using tobacco.
This brochure addresses the following topics:
- A new approach to life
- Coping with nicotine withdrawal
- Medications that can help
- Nicotine patch
- Nicotine gum
- Nicotine inhaler
- Nicotine nasal spray
- Buproprion (Zyban)
- You are ready to quit
- How do I begin?
This Web site is a one-stop gateway to school food safety information and resources. It includes the following information:
Action Guide Tools: Use the tools to launch and build support for food-safe school programs, such as a how-to guide and video, motivational PowerPoint(r) presentation and administrator’s briefing brochure, and topical in-depth modules
Assess: Assess your school’s food safety strengths and weaknesses and develop a plan for improvement using the Food-Safe...
This Web site contains concepts, tips, and tools for evaluating the quality of health care for children. This online resource can help to answer the following (and related) questions about measuring health care quality in child health programs:
- How can you tell whether children are receiving quality health care?
- How do you know when a health program is functioning effectively?
- Where can you find tools to help answer these questions?
- If the right tool is not...
This Web site makes aging-related health information easily accessible for adults 60 and older, as well as their family members and friends.
This Web site addresses the following topics:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Balance problems
- Breast cancer
- Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Colorectal cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diabetic retinopathy...