Established by Congress in 2000, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) is a unique collaboration of academic and community-based service centers whose mission is to raise the standard of care and increase access to services for traumatized children and their families across the United States. Combining knowledge of child development, expertise in the full range of child traumatic experiences, and attention to cultural perspectives, the NCTSN serves as a national resource for...
This 13-page booklet will help women learn more about the importance of physical activity and healthy eating in their daily lives. It will also help them talk with their health care providers about these topics and set healthy goals.
This guide presents the following information:
- Getting started (questions for women to answer for themselves and to discuss with their health care provider)
- Talking with my health care provider (ideas on how to start a conversation with...
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to review and update evidence-based strategies for breast cancer followup and management in asymptomatic patients following primary, curative therapy. The panel observed the 1996 outcomes criteria that justify the use of a drug or technology in the guideline development process. Therapy was recommended when compelling positive effects to survival, quality of life, and/or cost-effectiveness was demonstrated.
This fact sheet addresses the assessment of overweight in children and provides recommendations for getting help.
This fact sheet includes the following sections:
- Overweight or not?
- Getting help losing weight
- What to expect at the doctor’s office
- Body mass index (BMI)-for-age example
- What to do when a child is overweight
- Spotting eating disorders
- Treating eating disorders
- Warning signs
- Moving toward a healthy...
This summary provides evidence of the benefit and harm of various cervical cancer screening techniques.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Evidence of benefit
- Evidence of harm
- Accuracy of the Pap test
- New screening technologies
- Screening women who have had a hysterectomy
- Screening interval
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) testing
- Screening older...
This consumer-oriented fact sheet provides clear and succinct answers to address concerns about infant immunizations.
Questions answered in this fact sheet are:
- Is it okay for my baby to have so many shots at once?
- Don’t infants have natural immunity?
- Haven’t we gotten rid of most of these diseases in this country?
- I heard that some vaccines can cause autism. Is this true?
- Can’t I just wait until my child goes to school to catch up on...
This fact sheet explains how a patient in need of a transplant is matched to an organ donor. It briefly describes the centralized computer network maintained by the United Network for Organ Sharing, addresses the role of the transplant center, explains how patients in the transplant pool are ranked, and discusses the process once an organ becomes available.
This guide, based on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations, was developed to assist clinicians with providing clinical preventive care to their patients.
This tool addresses the following topics:
- Preventive services recommended by the USPSTF
- Recommendations for adults
- Heart and vascular diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Injury and violence
- Mental health conditions...
This four-page fact sheet addresses healthy eating habits and what parents can do to ensure that their child is eating well.
This fact sheet addresses the following topics:
- Have changes in our diets caused the obesity crisis?
- What influences children’s eating habits?
- What can I do to make sure my child is eating well?
- Is there an easy way to improve eating habits?
- Insist on breakfast
- Plan three meals and two snacks every day
This tool kit provides women with information about the importance of early detection and screening for breast cancer and instructions for a breast self-exam (BSE).
The tool kit includes:
- Breast self awareness information
- BSE instructional tool (available in English, Spanish, and Hindi)
- BSE card
- This full-color waterproof card illustrates and describes the technique of BSE. Monthly punch-...