This fact sheet for high school athletes is part of the toolkit for coaches, Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports. It addresses the following topics:
- What is a concussion?
- What are the symptoms of a concussion?
- What should I do if I think I have a concussion?
- How can I prevent a concussion?
This 42-page guide for women presents healthy behaviors to prevent and manage the many health conditions that can affect them. The guide addresses the following topics:
- Recommended screenings and immunizations for women at average risk for most diseases and those at high-risk for specific diseases
- Medicare-covered preventive services
- Healthy heart and stroke prevention
- Warning signs of heart attack and stroke
- Healthy bones
- Breast cancer...
The goal of this 87-page curriculum is to help health professionals and others who work with college students to identify and treat students who are at risk for or have alcohol-related problems. The methods presented are based on science and clinical experience and have been tested and used in a variety of settings. The protocols were specifically designed for busy, high-volume practices.
The curriculum is divided into the following teaching modules:
- Epidemiology and...
This guide is intended to assist State, local, and tribal public health professionals in the initiation of response activities during the first 24 hours of an emergency or disaster.
This guide addresses the following topics:
- Public health emergency preparedness assumptions
- Public health emergency response functions and tasks during the acute phase
- Ongoing public health emergency response functions and tasks
- Documentation of contacts and actions...
This fact sheet answers the following common questions about chlamydia:
- What is chlamydia and how common is it?
- How do you get chlamydia?
- What are the symptoms of chlamydia?
- How is chlamydia diagnosed?
- Who should get tested for chlamydia?
- What is the treatment for chlamydia?
- What should I do if I have chlamydia?
- What health problems can result from untreated chlamydia?
- How can chlamydia be prevented?
- Links to...
The National Institute on Aging (NIA) provides leadership in aging research, training, health information dissemination, and other programs relevant to aging and older people.This Web site includes the following:
- Publications: Information and tips on healthy aging, care giving, medications, dietary supplements, and diseases
- Clinical trials: Federally and privately supported clinical research with human volunteers
- Related sites: A list of National Institutes of...
This Web page features an interactive tool, designed for use by health professionals, to estimate a woman’s 5-year and lifetime risk of developing invasive breast cancer. Patients who use the tool are encouraged to discuss the results of this assessment and their personal risk of breast cancer with their health care professional.
In addition to the tool, this Web page includes the following information:
- About the tool
- Explaining the questions used in the tool...
The purpose of the National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center (OHRC) is to respond to the needs of States and communities in addressing current and emerging public oral health issues. OHRC supports health professionals, program administrators, educators, policymakers, and others with the goal of improving oral health services for infants, children, adolescents, and their families. The resource center collaborates with Federal, State, and local agencies; national and State...
This 62-page guide was developed to help a wide range of groups and communities move from concerns about alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug abuse to proven and practical solutions. It offers brief, practical, and easy-to-read information that is useful in planning and delivering prevention strategies.
Each two-page topic summary tells why the step is important and what it includes; provides tips on key tasks, choices, and pointers; and includes a highlight box with added advice or...
This summary provides patients with information on cervical cancer screening (Pap test).
This summary addresses the following topics:
- What is screening?
- General information about cervical cancer
- Cervical cancer screening
- Risks of cervical cancer screening