This guide presents the practical aspects of developing a remote diabetic retinopathy screening (DRS) program along with general guidelines and recommendations for performing DRS based on experiences in community clinics in California.
It is organized into the following sections:
- The need for diabetic retinopathy screening programs
- Guidelines for referring patients
- Program validation—defining program goals and performance
This toolkit contains information about comprehensive diabetes exams focused on symptoms and complications of diabetes. The toolkit explains how to differentiate a comprehensive diabetes exam from an annual physical. By providing a specialized diabetes exam, providers are able to dedicate attention to disease management and test results.
Diabetic patients may be interested in these materials so that they can advocate for a comprehensive diabetes examination with their physician.
This guide reinforces consistent diabetes messages across the four disciplines—pharmacy, podiatry, optometry, and dentistry (PPOD)—and promotes a team approach to comprehensive diabetes care that encourages collaboration among all care providers.
The guide includes the following sections:
- Diabetes: A major health problem
- Impact of controlling the ABCs of diabetes
- Diabetes management and team care
- What to discuss with patients with diabetes
This algorithm is derived from the evidence-based clinical practice guideline, Management of Diabetes Mellitus, developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (VA/DoD). It is intended to:
- Promote evidence-based management of individuals with diabetes
- Identify the critical decision points in management of patients with diabetes mellitus (DM), such as glycemic control, evaluation of the eyes and feet, and comorbid conditions (e.g....
This brochure gives people with diabetes information about the effects of that disease on vision and types of eye disease.
This brochure includes the following sections:
- Meet two people with diabetes
- Facts about diabetes and eye disease
- What is diabetic eye disease?
- Diabetic eye diseases
- What is diabetic retinopathy?
- What is the treatment for diabetic retinopathy?
- How to protect your eyes
- Test yourself
This Web site makes aging-related health information easily accessible for adults 60 and older, as well as their family members and friends.
This Web site addresses the following topics:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Balance problems
- Breast cancer
- Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Colorectal cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diabetic retinopathy...
The Diabetes Eye Examination Report is a one-page tool for medical providers to record eye examination results and plans of treatment for patients with diabetes.
This tool helps providers record the following information:
- Visual acuity
- Intraocular pressure
- Retinal examination findings
- Cataract limitations
- Glaucoma status
- Plans of treatment