This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for the primary prevention of chronic conditions. The USPSTF systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness of a wide range of clinical preventive services—including screening, counseling, and chemoprevention (the use of medication to prevent diseases)—to develop recommendations for preventive care in the primary care setting.
This databook provides information on a range of indicators that can help track the health behaviors, risk factors, and health care utilization practices of women throughout the United States. It selectively highlights emerging issues and trends in women’s health, using data from a wide variety of Federal and other sources.
This databook includes the following information:
- Population characteristics
- U.S. population
- U.S. female population by...
This summary provides information to health care professionals on prostate cancer prevention.
This summary addresses the following topics:
- Summary of evidence
- Benefits from finasteride chemoprevention
- Harms from finasteride chemoprevention
- Benefits and harms of other prevention interventions
- Incidence and mortality
- Risk factors for prostate cancer development
This patient guide summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations on hormone therapy for men with advanced prostate cancer.
This patient guide addresses the following topics:
This tool presents questions that patients can ask their doctors about heart health, as well as a quiz for assessing heart attack risk. It is part of the Heart Truth campaign to raise awareness about heart disease among women.
This tool presents questions and answers addressing early stage breast cancer.
It covers the following breast cancer-related topics:
- Lobular vs. ductal carcinoma
- Side effects
- Breast reconstruction
- More information/links to other resources
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) convened an expert panel to conduct a systematic review of the literature available through February 2004 on the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SNB) in early-stage breast cancer. This three-page tool summarizes the guideline recommendations developed by ASCO.
This guideline summary addresses the following topics:
- How should the results of SNB be utilized in clinical practice? Can full axillary lymph...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on screening for prostate cancer.
Topics addressed include:
- Does the USPSTF recommend prostate cancer screening?
- How effective is prostate cancer screening?
- What are the potential harms of prostate cancer screening?
- How effective is prostate cancer treatment?
- What are the potential harms of prostate cancer treatment?
- What should...
This report assesses the evidence that the use of genomic tests for ovarian cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment leads to improved outcomes. The authors conducted a literature review and constructed a computer simulation model to test the impact of different assumptions about ovarian cancer natural history on the relative effectiveness of different strategies.
This report includes the following sections:
- Ovarian cancer
- Approaches to...