This patient guide summarizes the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s recommendations on hormone therapy for men with advanced prostate cancer.
This patient guide addresses the following topics:
This summary for health professionals provides comprehensive, peer-reviewed, evidence-based information about the treatment of prostate cancer.
The summary addresses the following topics:
- General information
- Cellular classification
- Stage information
- Tumor, nodes, metastasis (TNM) definitions
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage groupings
- Jewett staging system
This guide is designed to help women understand changes that occur in their breasts.
This guide includes the following information:
- About your breasts
- Types of breast changes
- Finding breast changes
- Breast changes during your lifetime that are not cancer
- Getting a second opinion
- Followup tests to tell you more
- Finding the support you need
- For more information
- Chart 1: Possible mammogram results and followup care...
This 16-page booklet is for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and for their friends and families. The focus is on helping people live with HIV and keep themselves healthy.
This booklet addresses the following questions:
- What is HIV and how did I get it?
- What is the difference between HIV infection and AIDS?
- How long does it take to go from HIV infection to a diagnosis of AIDS?
- How can I stay healthy longer?
- What can...
This fact sheet presents highlights of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendations on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for the primary prevention of chronic conditions. The USPSTF systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness of a wide range of clinical preventive services—including screening, counseling, and chemoprevention (the use of medication to prevent diseases)—to develop recommendations for preventive care in the primary care setting.
This report assesses the evidence that the use of genomic tests for ovarian cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment leads to improved outcomes. The authors conducted a literature review and constructed a computer simulation model to test the impact of different assumptions about ovarian cancer natural history on the relative effectiveness of different strategies.
This report includes the following sections:
- Ovarian cancer
- Approaches to...
This tool addresses common questions about migraine headaches including:
- What is a migraine headache?
- What causes migraine?
- Are there different kinds of migraine?
- How does a migraine headache differ from a tension headache?
- When should I seek help for my headaches?
- What tests are used to find out if I have migraine?
- Are women more prone to migraine headaches?
- How is a woman’s menstrual cycle related to migraine?
This tool is evidence-based and designed to help men understand which medical checkup tests they need to stay healthy at any age. It addresses the following topics:
- Screening tests for men: What you need and when
- Daily steps to health
- Should you take medicines to prevent disease?
This tool presents questions that patients can ask their doctors about heart health, as well as a quiz for assessing heart attack risk. It is part of the Heart Truth campaign to raise awareness about heart disease among women.
This tool presents questions and answers addressing early stage breast cancer.
It covers the following breast cancer-related topics:
- Lobular vs. ductal carcinoma
- Side effects
- Breast reconstruction
- More information/links to other resources