Innovations To Promote Healthy Living
Innovations To Promote Healthy Living Wednesday, March 16, 2016
This issue of the Innovations Exchange is the fourth in our monthly series focused on health care disparities experienced by racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups and specific priority populations in the U.S.
Each year since 2003, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality has produced the National Healthcare Quality Report and the National Healthcare Disparities Report. Beginning with the 2014 reports, findings on health care quality and health care disparities are integrated into a single document. The 2014 National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report (QDR) provides a comprehensive overview of the quality of care received by the general U.S. population and health care disparities. Detailed information on individual measures and specific populations is available through a monthly series of chartbooks.
In June 2015, AHRQ released the Chartbook on Healthy Living, which includes a summary of trends across across measures of healthy living from the QDR and figures illustrating select measures, both overall and for populations defined by age, race, ethnicity, income, education, insurance, and number of chronic conditions.
The Innovations Exchange collection contains many Innovation Profiles and QualityTools designed to promote healthy living. This issue features a selection of content focused on five types of health care services that support healthy living but typically cut across clinical conditions: maternal and child health care, lifestyle modification, clinical preventive services, functional status preservation and rehabilitation, and supportive and palliative care.
- Urban Healthy Start Program Offers Support at Each Stage of Childbearing Cycle, Leading to Fewer Low- and Very Low–Birthweight Babies
- Trained Peers Educate and Support Veterans in Self-Management of Hypertension, Leading to Improved Blood Pressure and Weight Loss
- Electronic System for Referring Tobacco Users to Quitline and Monitoring Their Progress Increases Physician Referrals and Enhances Access to Cessation Services
- Culturally Tailored Lifestyle Counseling Tied To Readiness for Change Helps Underserved African-American Women Reduce Dietary Fat Intake
- Separate Teen and Parent Group Classes Combined With Pediatrician Support Reduce Body Mass Index and Improve Self-Image of Overweight Girls
- Statewide Campaign Provides Education and Technical Support to City Officials, Leading to Policies That Promote Healthy Behaviors
- Information Technology-Facilitated Identification of At-Risk Primary Care Patients Combined With In-Office Automated Measurement Significantly Reduces Undiagnosed Hypertension
- Better Integration of Home Health Aides Into the Health Care Team Improves Patient Functionality
- Telephone Consultations Improve Medication Adherence and Physical Functioning in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Tailored, Home-Based Physical Therapy Reduces Disability in Frail Community-Dwelling Seniors
- At-Home Palliative Care for Veterans Enhances Medication Adherence and Connections With Families and Providers, While Also Lowering Costs
- Multidisciplinary Team Brings Palliative Care to Rural Patients, Leading to Improved Symptom Management and High Levels of Satisfaction
- Hospital-Based Palliative Care Program Adds Comprehensive Outpatient Services, Leading to Better Access and High Patient and Provider Satisfaction
- Chartbook on Healthy Living
- Strong Start for Mothers and Newborns: What You Can Do To Help
- My Healthy Habits
- Behavioral Health and Wellness Program Toolkits
- Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation
- Electronic Preventive Services Selector (ePSS)
- How To Increase Cancer Screening Rates: A Quality Improvement Toolkit for Busy Office Practices
- An Interactive Preventive Care Record: A Handbook for Using Patient-Centered Personal Health Records to Promote Prevention
- Center for Healthy Aging: Resource Library
- Collaboration for Home Care Advances in Management and Practice (CHAMP) Tools
- National Rehabilitation Information Center's (NARIC) Information for the Public: Publications
- Palliative Care Tools
- Bright Futures Materials