Heart360® Fishbowl Summary
In this pharmacist-led, home blood pressure monitoring program participants upload their home blood pressure measurements 3 to 4 times a week to the American Heart Association’s Heart360® Web site. Clinical pharmacy specialists monitor the patients’ blood pressure readings and adjust medication therapy as needed. This program has led to improved blood pressure control, increased reduction in blood pressure, and improved patient satisfaction with care for patients with uncontrolled hypertension.
- David Magid is Director of Research for the Colorado Permanente Medical Group (CPMG), the Director of External Affairs for the Kaiser Permanente Colorado Institute for Health Research (IHR), and Chair of the Kaiser Permanente National Research Council. He is also an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Preventive Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
- Paul Plsek, Paul E. Plsek & Associates, Inc.
- Nancy Artinian is the Associate Dean for Research and Director of the Center for Health Research at Wayne State. [Perspective: CVD Provider, Specialist]
- MaryAnne Elma is Director of Quality Innovation and Implementation at the American College of Cardiology. [Perspective: CVD Specialist, Potential Adopter]
- Veronica Goff is Vice President at the National Business Group on Health. [Perspective: Health Care Purchaser]
- Bruce Siegel is President and CEO of the National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems. [Perspective: Purchaser, Potential Adopter]
- Lisa Simpson is the President and CEO of AcademyHealth, and its advocacy arm, the Coalition for Health Services Research. [Perspective: Policy Expert]
The presentation with accompanying audio is available at http://millionhearts.hhs.gov/aboutmh/innovation_exchange/Magid/index.htm.
A full description of the innovation appears in the AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange at http://www.innovations.ahrq.gov/node/4905.