This report provides an overview of lessons learned from 2011 scale up and spread activities undertaken by the AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange (Innovations Exchange), including a panel on the topic at the 4th Annual National Institutes of Health Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in March 2011 and the AHRQ Health Care Innovations Exchange Round Table on Scale Up & Spread in May 2011.
Topics of lessons learned include:
- Differences between the roles of innovator and spreader;
- Essential elements of the business case for spread;
- The importance of engaging multiple stakeholders in spread;
- Ways to assess readiness of innovations for spread;
- The role of the innovator’s organization in spread;
- Ways to assess readiness for adoption;
- Adoption-related needs of providers for vulnerable populations; and
- The development of the science of implementation and spread.
In addition, our activities identified the need for tools, training, and other support to speed implementation. Lastly, they also resulted in a range of suggestions for the Innovations Exchange itself, including enhancements to profile content and efforts that the Exchange could undertake to support spread.