Patient and Family Advisory Council
Welcome and Orientation to PBH
We are all in this together!
- Health First
- Health First Family
- Priorities, Mission, Vision and Values
- Your Role
- Expectations and Accountability
- Next Steps
- Paper Work
Note: On the bottom of every slide is the logo for HealthFirst and the words: Health Insurance . Hospitals . Medical Group . Outpatient Services
- Ripple Effect
Image: Pie-chart broken up into six sections with Volunteers in the center. The sections are: Patients, TAVs (Community); Government Industry, HealthFirst (Requirements and Funding); and Nurses and Staff (Face of HealthFirst).
Health First Family
- Holmes Regional Medical Center, Palm Bay, Viera, Cape Canaveral Hospitals
- Trauma and Heart Centers
- Health Plans: Individual/Family, Group
- Outpatient Programs
- Health First Hospice
- Health First Foundation
- Health First Auxiliary
Health First Priorities
- No Harm/Quality
- Customer Experience
Health First Mission and Vision
Mission: Our team positively changing the health and well-being of you and your family through excellent and compassionate health care.
Vision: Skilled and dedicated people delivering high quality, patient-centered health care that improves lives and communities
Every person. Every time.
Values and Promise: I-CARE
Integrity introduce yourself and what you do
Compassion clarify what you are doing
Accountability ask if there are any questions
Respect respond with information and concern
Excellence extra mile (is there anything else that I can do for you?)
Importance of Our Volunteers
- How we present sends a message
- Volunteers are often the …
- first point of contact
- first and last impression of the facility
- We create a memorable experience
Images: Four photographs of volunteers working with patients.
Safety – Codes Overview
- Volunteers follow the instructions of Health First associates to ensure safety
|Blue||Cardiac or Resp Arrest|
Confidentiality and HIPAA
- HIPAA with the Security Rule is a Federal Law
- ALL individually identifiable information (protected health information – PHI) must be protected – in written, oral and electronic form
- What does this mean to you as a volunteer?
- How do you maintain confidentiality?
- When do you NEED TO KNOW?
- … the single most important factor in preventing the spread of pathogens and antibiotic resistance in healthcare settings
- … reduces the incidence ofhealthcare associated infections
Image: Poster of a smiling little girl washing her hands. On the left side of the poster it says “Keep 'em clean!”. Above the girl are the words Give us a hand and wash them well.
I-CARE in Action
Our behavior is guided by our values to provide excellent and compassionate health care
- Say “Hello”
- Every Person. Every Time
- On Stage … Off Stage
- Universal Language
- We speak the language that everyone understands … English. This supports the Health First value of respect.
I-CARE in Action: Integrity
- I recognize, respect, and honor the Patient's Bill of Rights.
- I only discuss internal policies or operational issues in appropriate places, not in front of our patients and customers.
- I demonstrate a positive attitude toward Health First and others.
- I exhibit strong moral and ethical principles.
I-CARE in Action: Compassion
- I acknowledge and appreciate cultural and ethnic diversity.
- I care for others as I would expect to be cared for myself.
- I listen attentively to understand others.
- I speak carefully to be understood.
I-CARE in Action: Accountability
- I take ownership for the patient's and customer's total experience.
- I believe attitude is a state of mind - a personal choice that I control.
- I take full responsibility for my performance, words, decisions, actions and results.
- I willingly seek advice and assistance from others.
I-CARE in Action: Respect
- I demonstrate teamwork by working with others, not against them.
- I acknowledge and value others' contributions.
- I am courteous, professional, and responsive to others - in person, on the phone, or via electronic communications.
- I protect the privacy of patients and customers at all times.
I-CARE in Action: Excellence
- I practice safe work habits and support the National Patient Safety Goals.
- I follow Health First's Policies & Procedures.
- I am actively engaged.
- I live out Health First's Values.
- I make choices per Health First's Priorities:
- No Harm/Quality
- Customer Experience
Flowchart showing the following steps:
- Service Areas
- Interview Scheduling
- Bring ID
- Bring Completed Application
- TB Checks (2)
- Flu Vaccine
- 1 Month Period
- Svc Area Fit
- Annual Training
- Exit Survey
Congratulations and Welcome…
The story continues with YOU!