Patient- and Family-Centered Care Innovations
Patient- and Family-Centered Care Innovations Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Patient- and family-centered care is an approach to health care planning, delivery, and evaluation that encourages patient involvement and partnership among health care providers, patients, and families. Important concepts include respect and dignity, information sharing, participation, and collaboration.
The featured Innovations describe three programs that integrated principles of patient- and family-centered care into the delivery of services, contributing to better outcomes and greater patient satisfaction.
The featured QualityTools include a toolbox to assist health care professionals in implementing and meeting patient- and family-centered care goals, a tool for providers to assess their own ability to integrate patients and family members into the care process, and evidence-based strategies for hospitals to implement patient- and family-centered care practices.
- Hospital-Based Day Treatment Program Provides Family-Centered Services to Children With Chronic Illnesses and Emotional Issues as an Alternative to Outpatient and Inpatient Care
- Separate Emergency Center for Older Patients Leads to High Levels of Patient Satisfaction, Detection of Polypharmacy, Increased Volume of Patients, and Low Rate of Return Visits
- Patient Advisors Participate in Hospital Councils, Committees, Staff Training, and Other Activities, Contributing to Improved Patient Satisfaction and Better Organizational Performance
Also in This Issue:
- Pediatric Critical Care Physicians Provide Remote Consultations to Emergency Departments in Underserved Rural Areas, Leading to Better Diagnosis and Treatment
- Emergency Department Uses Tool To Identify At-Risk Patients in Need of HIV Testing, Leading to Same Number of Newly Diagnosed Patients with Fewer Screening Tests
- Daily Bathing With Antiseptic Agent Significantly Reduces Risk of Hospital-Acquired Infections in Intensive Care Unit Patients
- Mobile Clinic Delivers Culturally Competent Services to Underserved Neighborhoods, Leading to Identification of Untreated Chronic Conditions, Better Blood Pressure Control, and Significant Return on Investment