Innovations in Medicaid Policy
Innovations in Medicaid Policy Wednesday, September 11, 2013
On January 1, 2014, Medicaid expansion will take effect as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, expanding coverage to millions of low-income Americans. In preparation, several States have begun to implement changes in Medicaid policies and programs that facilitate enrollment and access to services.
The featured Innovations describe a pay-for-performance program in New York that improved immunization rates and diabetes care, an initiative in Oklahoma that facilitated Medicaid enrollment while reducing operating costs, and an Oregon plan that increased screening and access to care for children at risk for developmental disabilities.
The featured QualityTools include a toolbox for Medicaid and CHIP learning collaboratives, a fact sheet describing dual eligible status and its implications, and a toolkit to improve Medicaid managed care service delivery for youth with serious behavioral health needs.
- Medicaid Managed Care Plan Offers Patient-Specific, Pay-for-Performance Program, Leading to Improvements in Immunization Rates and Diabetes Care
- State Medicaid Program Adopts Multiple Policies to Significantly Increase Screening Rates and Enhance Access to Services for Young Children at Risk of Developmental Disabilities
- Online System Speeds Enrollment in Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program, Significantly Reduces Operating Costs, and Contributes to Decline in Number of Uninsured
Also in This Issue:
- Navy Medical Home Clinics, Staffed by Integrated Primary Care Teams and Supported by Web-Based Systems, Improve Screening Rates, Access to Care, and Patient-Provider Communication
- Inclusive Policies, Communication Protocols and Ongoing Training Lead to Culturally Competent Care for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patients
- Health Plan's Comprehensive Strategy Involving Physician Incentives and Targeted Recruitment Enhances Patient Access to Language-Concordant Physicians
- Primary Care Clinic Simultaneously Offers Influenza Shot and Home Testing Kit to Eligible Patients During Influenza Season, Boosting Colorectal Cancer Screening Rate