Increasing Patient Involvement in Health Care
Increasing Patient Involvement in Health Care Wednesday, October 10, 2012
An increasing number of health care systems and providers offer services and tools that encourage and empower patients to take an active role in their own health care. The ability to access medical records, test results, and other health information online can increase patient involvement and facilitate patient—provider communication.
The featured Innovations describe two programs that provided patient access to online medical records via secure patient portals and a program that offered patients access to routine laboratory tests between visits, enhancing patient engagement and satisfaction.
The featured QualityTools provide resources and information to help patients and consumers make health care decisions and communicate effectively with providers.
- Online Tools and Services Activate Plan Enrollees and Engage Them in Their Care, Enhance Efficiency, and Improve Satisfaction and Retention
- Online Patient Access to Visit Notes Generates Positive Early Reviews From Patients and Primary Care Physicians
- Health System Offers Routine Tests Without Need for Physician Order, Enhancing Access for Small but Growing Number of Satisfied Patients
Also in This Issue:
- Individualized Stress Management Program Encourages Healthy Behaviors and Coping Techniques
- Electronic Referrals and Communications Reduce Wait Times for Specialty Appointments and Improve Clinician Communication and Quality of Care
- Redesigned Inpatient Care Model Increases Quality and Patient Satisfaction, Reduces Costs and Length of Stay