State Health Care Legislation and Statewide Initiatives
State Health Care Legislation and Statewide Initiatives Wednesday, September 26, 2012
State legislative initiatives play an important role in efforts to improve health care services and patient outcomes. Statewide programs that demonstrate the value of health care innovation can provide models for other states seeking to achieve similar goals.
The featured policy Innovations describe four different state programs- one that reduced hospital-acquired infection rates in New York, one that boosted hospital nurse staffing in California, one that supported development of patient-centered medical homes in Maryland, and a program that improved services for persons with mental illness in Florida.
The featured QualityTools include a toolkit for state health care reform, materials to support state efforts in reducing avoidable rehospitalizations, and an online dashboard about state initiatives in health information technology.
- State-Mandated Tracking and Public Reporting Reduce Incidence and Costs of Common Hospital-Acquired Infections
- Statewide Program Offers Technical and Financial Support to Physician Practices, Enabling Them to Become Medical Homes and Improve Access and Quality
- Self-Directed Budget for Health and Other Services Enhances Ability of Those with Mental Illness to Function and Live Independently
- State-Mandated Nurse Staffing Levels Alleviate Workloads, Leading to Lower Patient Mortality and Higher Nurse Satisfaction
Also in This Issue:
- Surgical Hospitalist Model Enhances Access to Surgical Consultations, Increases Physician Perceptions of Quality at Academic Medical Center
- Instant Access to Clinical Information From Other Providers Leads to Reports of Higher Quality and Lower Costs for Medicaid Beneficiaries
- Electronic Alerts, Patient Education, and Performance Reports Improve Adherence to Guideline Designed to Reduce Early Elective Inductions
- Fun, Interactive Classes Emphasize Easy-to-Understand Messages, Leading to Enhanced Knowledge About Healthy Behaviors in Elementary School Children
- Health System Makes Annual Influenza Immunization a Condition of Ongoing Employment, Leading to Near-Complete Vaccination of Workforce
- Verizon Encourages Health Plans to Identify and Address Disparities, Leading to Enhanced Access to Information and Services for Minorities
- Major Health Systems Collaborate on Organizational Structures and Policies, Enhancing Access to Care and Reducing Uncompensated Care Costs for the Uninsured